Thursday, May 5, 2016

Not for Passover Matzo?




Matzo is a staple in the Passover meal because of the dietary restrictions that one must follow during he holiday. I would have assumed that all matzo sold around the time of Passover would went out to buy matzo for her Passover table and much to her dismay upon her arrival home she discovered the box had a little note on it that said "not for Passover use".


I had an extremely difficult time finding any type of matzo. I had set out to find matzo meal to make matzo ball soup that I was bringing to our in class Seder. At the first store that I went to did not have matzo or matzo meal, much to my frustration. I went to a different store and once again could not find matzo meal, however, there was a very large box of matzo. I purchased the matzo and made my own matzo meal. Luckily, the matzo I had found was Passover appropriate. And lucky for Dr. Mehta and the class because of the large amount of matzo I had to purchase, she and the class had matzo for Passover and our Seder.






I cannot figure out why stores would not sell Passover appropriate matzo during this time of the year but that will forever be a mystery. I also did not think that finding matzo would be so difficult. But after thinking about it my hometown is primarily Christian, so it would make sense that stores would not carry matzo. This story illustrates that food and religion are inherently connected and when a religion is not widely practiced in an area it becomes extremely difficult to find the food items for that tradition.













No comments:

Post a Comment